‘The joy of learning is an indispensable to study as breathing is to running.’ – Simone Weil, Waiting for God (1950)
- Honorary Research Fellow for the Centre for Scottish Cultural Studies, University of Strathclyde.
- PhD. ‘A Scotswoman in her Text: Margaret Oliphant’s literary negotiations with national identity’. Awarded by the University of Strathclyde.
- Postgraduate Diploma in English Studies (Distinction). University of Strathclyde.
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education. University of Glasgow. Followed courses in American and Irish Literature.
- Additional Teaching Qualification in Religious Education, St. Andrew’s College of Education, Glasgow.
- General Teaching Council of Scotland registration awarded.
- PGCE. English and History, St. Andrew’s College of Education, Glasgow.
- M.A. Glasgow University. Comprising: English Literature and Language / Scottish Literature / French Literature /Scottish History (Certificate of Merit) / Moral Philosophy (Certificate of Merit).